Monday, June 17, 2013

As the Garden Grows AND Clucks and Quacks: Swinging, Spuds and Sassiness

Wanna see my FAVORITE part of the garden?

It's our hammock. It spans between 2 mossy Maples near our bubbling brook. (Like those aliterations? :grin:) It's a perfectly dapple-shaded area for MOM TIME, even with the kids nearby. 


Shh! Sometimes I even go out on breezier days (so those darn 'quitoes aren't so bad) and a cozy blanket and take a snooze. Do you suppose the kids think I'm weird? :wink:

Anyway...


So, the garden is growing. The Kennebec white potatoes are growing like WEEDS now that they've popped up through the soil. The spuds left in the dark, dry utility room sprouted more eyes so Jake planted those in one of the raised beds by the gone-by asparagus. 


Did you know that you're not supposed to cut back the asparagus until SPRING? I asked my friend Susan from Itsy Bitsy Farm for help. (You can find her here on Facebook too. You should check her out! She grows LOADS of veggies in raised beds on only 1/8th of an acre.) She's my 'gus go-to person. (Jake DID tell me that I couldn't cut them now, but...Yes, he was right again. :sigh:) The asparagus is like a mini forest!

The beans are almost flowering. It won't be long now before we're snacking on them. And the snow peas are climbing up the TREE TRELLISES. 

Tip: If you've got trees surrounding your yard, send the kids out in search of small downed limbs with multiple branches. Stick these limbs into the soil for climbing plants. No need for metal cages!


I'm happy to report that Ms. Sassy is doing well. Did I share that she had an impacted crop this spring? and that I had to give her veggie oil and massaged her crop several times a day to help her muscles break it down? She was able to pass the blockage after a week, but unfortunately damage has been done to her crop and she has "pendulous crop", her crop is distended from weak muscles and she is more apt to get another blockage. But, she's QUITE "clucky" now!


Cati and I have HIGH HOPES that a flower will FINALLY bloom in her flower garden. She's had some Bleeding Hearts, but the one peony bud dried up and fell off. :sigh: 


Does anyone have any idea what kind of FLOWER PLANT it is? :wink:


6 comments:

  1. Your garden looks much better than mine.

    And, no, I don't think you are weird for laying outside and napping in the breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post! We have raised beds as well because we live in the city limits on 3/4 of an acre. Your flowering plant looks similar to our Easter Lillies,so I am thinking it's a lily of some kind.

    Following by email and GFC as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE your hammock! I have a little piece of my back yard with a hammock as well! I have not gotten to enjoy it yet but I plan on doing so! :D :D when the "quitos" arent so bad too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that an artichoke? I love reaping from the garden, but I hate gardening! I'm glad my husband like to get down and dirty! I'll be posting the super sweet blog award this week end some time. Thanks again for awarding me!

    ReplyDelete